Posts by CLINE123

332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

... However, there’s a whole sister market for services with many capable developers that would probably love to make an income customizing and supporting plugins and themes. Seems like everyone would win and any support / update issues would at least be isolated to a single section of one market. Serious authors will continue to write clean code and keep their items current. [ speaking as an author ]
I totally agree with this and would support such a ‘sister market’. [ speaking as a buyer ]
332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says

My broken record answer: paid updates would solve this.

Buyers should receive all updates as part of their purchase for a fixed period (ex: 12 months), then afterward had to renew their license to continue getting updates. This would give authors an incentive to maintain old items because they could legitimately earn from their existing customers…

The real question is whether you (as a buyer) get business value from those updates, and would pay that renewal cost versus maintaining it yourself. Otherwise this situation will not change.

I don’t mind paying for updates after a fixed period, I’ll simply pass it to the client but making them aware first that the project terms for updates after initial project delivery is additional $. I can’t do it as I’m not a coder so I have to have it done by a third party. I’ll always prefer keeping everything in the Envato system whether updated by the author or some other ‘Envato Approved’ update department even for a price.

Envato has to bear in mind that not all buyers are one-off do-it-yourselfers, but are in the website configuring as a business. Last I checked I’ve done at least 100 websites since 2011 of which 75% are still active sites and some themes have been removed by the authors and I can’t even find them for support.

332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says

If I may add my 2 cents as a buyer and ‘website configurer’ who does so for clients, about 85% of my purchases have been WP themes and lately I’ve been gravitating towards themes with Visual Composer. But my process is different as I choose themes based on look and feel and suitability for a client’s business FIRST, then by rating, then by author badge (I tend towards Elite authors and higher sales badges).

I always look for two features to set my mind at ease- Visual Composer and Woo Commerce. I’ve observed that most of the themes that catch my eye (for at least this year so far), usually have these as standard so I usually don’t have to make a choice.

If Visual Composer is not there and some other page builder, I don’t mind as my experience gives me the ability to work with any, though some are a nuisance to work with. VC just makes my job easier as I can focus on creatively configuring my client’s content for inbound marketing with the power to quickly move things around.

In summary, if I had to choose between 2 themes that are ‘equal’ for my client’s needs, one with VC and one without, I’ll choose the one with VC.

332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says
Would there be any consideration for buyers like myself in the low end of the bloodsucking spectrum (because apparently we are all bloodsuckers):
  • who are seasoned buyers with ‘theme configuration’ businesses as well
  • who, contrary to popular belief, are not laughing all the way to the bank
  • who ask for support for legitimate support issues
  • who search the comments first for answers before posting (so post rarely- searchable comments as been a huge blessing)
  • who sometimes ask for simple customization requests, i.e. where author says go to CSS and do so and so (not go in and do it for me)
  • who relies on a certain amount of goodwill with great authors and keep buying their themes or recommending first for clients
  • who doesn’t take advantage of the support system and play by the rules
  • who continues to purchase as prices continue to rise

I think a buyer like myself, who’s been around a while and consistently buys themes (TF accounts for 85% of my purchases), I’m being unfairly lumped with newbies and one-off buyers and being penalized because of them. Is there any scenario where I get a fair shake? The current system works fine for me as is.

If the author feels my request is a ‘customization’ he tells me, I tell my client, and this has never happened. Once I have a good rapport with an author, I keep buying his themes and he knows when to indulge me as is his choice. I always seek out Elite authors first, and 4-5 star items but I rarely rate even though I depend on the ratings of others.

I rarely rate because most themes work the way they should so I never have to go back. I rate only when an author asks me in a reply to a support question after they provided good support… “please take the time to rate…” so that’s when I take the time.

I don’t rate immediately because I give clients a 4-6 week delivery date with a max 8 weeks, so I don’t get to use the theme thoroughly enough to give a rating. By then it’s not at the front of my mind.

332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Most themes are very customizable nowadays, you shouldn’t have any trouble. Specific questions are best answered by the theme author.

332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says

This one looks close to your example: Revista – Ultimate Flat Magazine WordPress Theme

332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Great job and great song and very well done. I agree with and second RandallKHarp’s comments. Has all the trappings of a mainstream song and would make for a good soundtrack/music backdrop for a TV show or movie. If I didn’t know it, I would have thought it was from a major recording artist.

332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Thanks for the replies guys. @Doru, I know you from around the forums, will contact you once I get to that stage.

332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says

For someone who configures websites for a living I should know this but I don’t. A client wants his WP site outfitted with a similar video intro embedded on the side like this site: http://www.fivetownslimo.com/. Can my peers point me in the right direction?

332 posts
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Of the 85 items I’ve bought, 75 have been WP themes. Thank you authors for making my job so much easier. You did what you do best- create awesome themes, and I then do what I do best- configure to make them work for my clients’ business. We’d both be nowhere without each other.

Thanks to my favorite authors: WP Explorer (yes he’s number 1), Sara_P, WP Titans, Orange Idea, System 32, Saurabh Sharma, AIT, who’ve been around the block, and there are some authors who I’ve just tried their spectacular themes: SemiColonWeb, muffingroup, webmandesign.

I’ve had to refund just a few and Envato support has always been stellar.

by
by
by
by
by
by