• Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

This thread is now in › Item Discussion

Thanks for moving it to the correct category.

295 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

Hi Art101,

I’m not an author yet either, but I think I will be soon (I’ve submitted once and been rejected, but looking back, the theme I submitted was terrible, and I’m glad I was rejected because it made me try harder, and at the very least, my skills and knowledge have improved greatly since then).

The main thing is to stay positive. You’ve invested a good amount of time in the theme, and you learned a lot whilst you were making it, so the time you spent was not wasted.

You are now closer to having your theme accepted.

Take a step back, compare your theme with other themes on Themeforest – does yours look like a Themeforest theme? The answer is … no, but with the right changes, it could easily be.

Notice how the other authors have been meticulous in their attention to detail and how the themes have an overall concept that ties them together.

Focus on these two aspects – detail – and concept (or, more aptly “theme”).

Here’s some more specific advice too, because I know what its like to ask the forum for help and just get replies like “its not good”, or “it looks terrible” with no positive feedback;

Look at other sources for inspiration – e.g. Dribble To try to match your theme with the ones on Themeforest you will undershoot the mark, but if you try to match your work to the very best designers out there, you will hopefully overshoot and be not only accepted, but get some good sales too.

Here is some more specific things I noticed (note, I’m not a great designer, but I’m talking from a potential buyer’s point of view here).

Overall theme; 1) The overall layout is fine, but concept isn’t that original or eye-catching. Try to be as creative as possible here , especially with the small details – typography, spacing, JQuery effects, better/more original form layout.

The top menu; 1) Try a new logo, or don’t have the logo at all – try text in its place maybe. 2) Not enough space between logo and links. 3) Link text size, font and/or font weight is wrong.

The footer; 1) Combination of logo on bottom right and copyright text on left upper looks wrong (this could also be due to the logo not being great).

The alerts; 1) The font size and spacing looks wrong and the colour isn’t great either.

So maybe start there, and hopefully it will become better – but don’t be afraid to start over too if you see a great design out there or have a great concept idea that inspires you, because ultimately the new theme you create will be better, and you can still bring over the knowledge you learned from making this one.

Hope that helps, Stay positive!

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for your detailed comment, I appreciate your specific feedback about the site and your general advise about handling a rejection. I will give myself a break, work on another project then get back with a fresh eye and the willing to enhance it.

Thanks again and good luck for you as an author :)

295 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

I don’t see the minigo resemblance

Thanks ThemeToast :)

295 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

Aside form the spacing and visual weighting issues, it’s probably got a lot to do with the fact that this is very heavily based on the visuals of the superb MiniGO coming soon plugin. At least change the font from Lato to something original.

Thanks kops for your feedback, I’ll take your point in consideration. but I think you may have that feeling because it is a small category and almost all its items have the same content; logo, countdown timer, subscription, contact us forms but I believe it’s completely different in design.

295 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

Thanks very much Andrei for taking the time to check it and for your useful feedback :)

295 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

Hi all,

I worked for about one month to build a coming soon template, but it was hard rejected for a general quality reason, you can see it here (http://themeforest.html5interactivemaps.com/zclock/).

I’m very sad about that, It was very exhaustive work, getting the idea, make the design, fix bugs, make it responsive, testing on different browsers..etc but now I think it’s a dead end.

I’m sure that many of you have the same experience, so any suggestions to enhance it or get any benefit of this work?

Thanks in advance.

295 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

Congrat Kontramax :)
That’s an achievement :)

295 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

Congratulations :) You are one of the best ;)

295 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

I just got a 5* rating with a comment but still no emails?!?
I can confirm that multiple review notifications have been sent to your email address. Are they getting marked as spam?

Thanks very much for taking the time to check it for me, I found them in spam. I normally receive all emails from the marketplace, I didn’t expect to get those ones in spam.

295 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Art101 says

No, not without the original author’s permission. Thanks!

Thanks for your quick, clear reply.

by
by
by
by
by
by